Wednesday 19 February 2014

Daily Cycling Facts 19.02.2014

Maurice Garin
Garin with masseur and son, 1903
Maurice-Francois Garin was born on the 3rd of March 1871 in Arvier, Italy - a tiny village of just seven families, five of them with the surname Garin - and died on this day in 1957 in France. Garin's father was 36 and his mother 19 when they married and life was difficult - the cottage in which he was born can still be seen in Arvier, a short way from the French border, but it lies in ruins and must have been horrendously cramped when occupied by the couple and their nine children, this no doubt being one of the reasons they emigrated over the border when Maurice was 14. It seems that they did so illegally - legal emigration was possible, but the mayors on the French side had been instructed to make it as difficult as possible and the fact that the family members traveled separately to escape detection is evidence that they did not have permission. According to legend, Maurice was exchanged for a round of cheese at some point along the way - as is frequently recounted in support of the (often true) "desperate boys from a harsh background" stereotype that makes up a large part of early cycling's mythos.

In fact, the cheese legend may be true. In those days, a 14-year-old boy was considered to be ready to make his own way in the world and, rather than displaying a lack of care, Garin's parents may have believed that they were doing the right thing. That he was working as a chimney sweep in Reims a year later suggests that the cheese may have been a sort of custody payment from an employer who had taken him on in a sort of unofficial apprenticeship - Garin would, as a result, have been tied to the job for a certain number of years, but better that than no job at all in a world where the concept of state unemployment benefits was a long way off. Also, it paid enough for him to join forces with two of his brothers and set up a bike shop in Roubaix in 1895. The exact date at which he became a naturalised Frenchman is unknown, but is thought to have been either 1892 or 1901, by which time the other members of his family had dispersed around France and his father, having returned to Arvier, was dead.

The shop seems to have been quite successful as it paid Garin enough to buy his first bike in 1889 for 405 old francs, roughly €1,400 today. He had no interest in racing but became known locally for the high speeds at which he cycled around town and earned the nickname "Le Fou," The Madman, which brought him to the attention of a cycling club secretary who pleaded with him to race for the organisation. Garin not only agreed, he also finished a very respectable 5th - not bad at all for a first race and despite suffering from the great heat that day. He realised that racing was something he could be good at, and entered more races. His first win came in 1893 and he sold his bike, combined the proceeds of that with the money he'd won in the race and bought a newer, lighter model for the equivalent of €3,000. It was fitted with the newly-popular pneumatic tyres that had been patented by a Scots-Irish vet three and a half years earlier.

He became a professional that same year, and did so in typically unusual fashion: having turned up for a race in Avesnes-sur-Helpes, he was informed by officials that the event was open only to professional riders. Rather than going home or becoming a spectator, he waited until nobody was looking once the riders had set off and then jumped on his bike and went after them. He crashed twice but dropped them all, finishing the race far ahead of them. The crowd loved it - the organisers, meanwhile, were not so impressed and refused to pay him the prize money; so the spectator had a whip-round and gave him 300 francs, double what the professional winner received. It was not long until a sponsor approached him with a contract, and his first victory as a professional came a short while later at a 24-hour race in Paris during which he covered 701km. A record survives showing what Garin claimed to have eaten during the race and makes for impressive reading even when compared to the vast quantities of food (and, in some cases, intoxicating substances) consumed by rider since: 5 litres of tapioca, 2kg of rice, 45 cutlets of meat, 7 litres of tea, 8 eggs, 19 litres of drinking chocolate, some oysters, a mixture of champagne and coffee and "lots" of strong red wine.

Remarkable though his early life and career may have been, Garin will be forever remembered as the man who won the very first Tour de France in 1903, then won the second one too but was stripped of the victory for cheating. Originally, the race had been planned as a mammoth five-week ordeal by organiser Henri Desgrange, but only 15 cyclists had liked the sound of that and expressed interest so it was reduced to a six-stage event over 2,428km. Garin won 3,000 francs, but the race had been hard - he told journalist Pierre Chany:
"The 2,500km that I've just ridden seem a long line, grey and monotonous, where nothing stood out from anything else. But I suffered on the road; I was hungry, I was thirsty, I was sleepy, I suffered, I cried between Lyon and Marseille, I had the pride of winning other stages, and at the controls I saw the fine figure of my friend Delattre, who had prepared my sustenance, but I repeat, nothing strikes me particularly.
But wait! I'm completely wrong when I say that nothing strikes me, I'm confusing things or explaining myself badly. I must say that one single thing struck me, that a single thing sticks in my memory: I see myself, from the start of the Tour de France, like a bull pierced by banderillas, who pulls the banderillas with him, never able to rid himself of them."
1904 was harder still. The race remained the same distance, but this time fans remembered the events of the previous year and started vendettas against riders they disliked, felling trees across the road to hold them up and physically beating them given the chance. Garin had apparently incurred their wrath at some point, because he was attacked under cover of darkness during a night stage as he climbed  the Col de la République, suffering  severe beating and being hit in the face with a stone. The mob were wild, braying "Up with local hero, André Faure! Down with Garin! Kill them!" The Italian rider Paul Gerbi was punched and kicked until he became unconscious and had his fingers broken - which suggested that the death threats may well have been carried out had officials not arrived and dispersed the crows by firing their pistols into the air. Later on in the same stage, they ran into a gang of men on bikes and were attacked again - this time, Garin's arm was injured and he had to steer with one hand to the end of the stage.

As if the spectators hadn't been trouble enough, there was widespread cheating among the riders that year (some of them may even have paid for the nails that the spectators threw into the road to cause punctures). No fewer than nine had been kicked out during the race, mostly for "illegal use of cars and trains" (Lucien Petit-Breton said that he'd seen a rider he preferred not to name publicly getting towed by a motorbike, but when he tried to remonstrate with the man, he pointed a pistol at him) and more complaints came in when the race was over. The Union Vélocipédique Française started an investigation, details of which were lost when records were transported to the South of France for safe-keeping during the Nazi Occupation, and in the end a further 20 riders were disqualified. Among them were Garin, who had won the race, 2nd place Lucien Pothier, 3rd place César Garin (Maurice's brother) and 4th place Hippolyte Aucouturier. 19-year-old Henri Cornet, real name Henri Jardry, had been given an official warning after he was spotted getting a lift in a car during the race but, perhaps on account of his youthful inexperience, was not disqualified and thus his 5th place finish was upgraded to 1st. He remains the youngest winner in Tour de France history. However, Garin did not confess.

Retirement was good for Garin - he ran a garage in Lens and, though not rich and rarely recognised even though a velodrome was named in his honour in 1933 and he received a gold medal for his services to sport five year later, seems to have been happy with it and was comfortable (the garage still stands at 116 Rue de Lille, but is much modernised). He retained his interest in cycling throughout his life and started a professional team after the Second World War. He lived to see the 50th anniversary of the Tour, watching the finish from a special podium with several other stars of the races from days gone by, and died four years later at the age of 85. After his death, the world began to take an interest and film crews started to document his life. In the Nord-Pas-de-Calais cemetery where he is buried, they discovered that the cemetery attendant was from Lens and had been familiar with Garin and his garage during his boyhood - and revealed that, as an old man, Garin freely admitted to his cheating in the 1904 Tour.

Even without his Tour success, Garin was a phenomenally talented rider who more than lived up to the promise he showed when he was an amateur and beat the professionals. He won Paris-Roubaix twice (d came 3rd twice), Paris-Saint-Malo, Guingamp-Morlaix-Guingamp, Paris-Le Mans, Paris-Mons, Liège-Thuin, Paris-Royan, Paris-Cabourg, Tourcoing-Béthune-Tourcoing (twice), Valenciennes-Nouvion-Valenciennes, Douai-Doullens-Douai, Paris–Brest–Paris, Bordeaux–Paris and set a world record for riding 500km behind a human pacer (ie, a series of cyclists) in 15h2'32". The money he won would have bought his parents a lot of cheese.

Albert White
Few riders have ever won as many trophies - including Olympic medals - as Albert "Lal" White, who was born in Scunthorpe in Great Britain on this day in 1890, but even fewer have had an opera written about their lives. Little was known about the cyclist, who died in 1965, other than that he had been awarded the Muratti Vase after achieving a string of prestigious race wins in the 1920s (the whereabouts of the Vase, said to have been made of solid gold and estimated to be of enormous value, are unknown).

White was employed at a steelworks, and his incredible palmares is due at least in part to an exceptionally understanding (and presumably, very keen on cycling boss) who saw to it that he was given only work to justify his pay packet. The skills he learned there came in handy, because according to cycling legend Lal invented the static training bike.

Cycle Song, the opera about White's life, was created by the Scunthorpe Opera and performed as part of the 2012 London Festival. Excerpts can be found here.

The British Cultural Olympiad Committee appealed for information from the public on Olympians from days gone by, including Lal, through the Daily Telegraph newspaper in 2010, and several people who remembered him came forward, including an elderly man whose brother had trained with the rider and had been told that the Vase, which was named after the Italian cigarette company that sponsored it in the days when sport and cigarettes were considered an acceptable partnership, was kept in a bank vault. Nobody, it seems, knows any more than that.

Jean Majerus
Jean Majerus was a Luxembourgian cyclist born on this day in 1914 who would be twice National Junior Road Race Champion (1935 and 1935) and would go on to become a reasonably successful rider in the Tour de France. In 1937 he won Stage 1 and wore the yellow jersey for two days, then in 1938 he won Stage 2 and wore yellow for four days - the latter equating to seven stages in total, as those days included Stages 2, 3, 4a, 4b, 4c, 5, 6a and 6b (he lost the jersey in 6b). Following the Nazi Occupation of his country, he continued to race within the German Empire and won the Dortmund Rundfahrt twice, along with some other races - successes, but not especially admirable ones because many riders in Nazi occupied lands refused to compete until after the War.

Majerus died on the 16th of June 1983. He is often confused with two other Luxembourgian riders - Jean Michel Majerus, born in 1891, and another Jean Maerus who was born in 1904. It would seem that he was not related to either, nor to Christine Majerus who is racing now; he was, however, the older brother of Jacques Majerus who became National Independents Champion in 1939.

Jelle Vanendert
Born in Neerpelt on this day in 1985, Belgian rider Jelle Vanendert has been racing for Lotto-Belisol since 2012 and, prior to that, Omega Pharma-Lotto in 2010 and 2011 and Silence-Lotto in 2009. His first Pro Tour contract was with La Française des Jeux in 2008, and he had earlier ridden for various Pro Continental teams.

Jelle Vanendert
The biggest victory of Vanendert's early career was the Under-23 GP van Waregem in 2006. While he didn't pick up any wins for a few seasons following his move up to the Pro Tour he did achieve some impressive results that suggested he might one day achieve great things, including an 11th place stage finish at the Vuelta a Espana in 2008, ninth overall at the Österreich-Rundfahrt in 2009, a tenth place stage finish at the Vuelta in 2010. Unfortunately, he was often prevented from reaching his full potential due to injury: a hernia in 2008, then a fractured pelvis, then a damaged knee.

2011 was to be his breakout year - having gone to the Tour de France as a domestique, his team lost leader Jurgen Van Den Broeck in a crash and Vanendert was given free rein to race as he pleased. Seeing an opportunity on Stage 14 in the Midi Pyrenees he attacked the favourites and won the stage, finishing 14" ahead of Samuel Sanchez, 46" ahead of Andy Schleck, 48" ahead of a chase group that contained, among others, Cadel Evans, Alberto Contador and most of the other leading riders. He had not won by a sufficient margin to take the yellow jersey, but he did become the leader in the King of the Mountains and he retained the polka dot jersey all the way to Stage 19 when Sanchez took it from him. He finished the race in 20th place overall.

As a result, he was selected as team leader for Lotto's Spring Classics campaign, going on to take seventh at the Brabantse Pijl, second at the Amstel Gold Race, fourth at La Flèche Wallonne and tenth at Liège-Bastogne-Liège. More good performances came at the stage races and he was 29th overall at the Tour, then in 2013 he was 13th at the Amstel Gold Race and 18th at Liège-Bastogne-Liège.

In 2014 Vanendert rode at the Tour de San Luis. After the race, he revealed that he had ridden several stages with a broken elbow.

Italian rider Fabio Battesini was born on this day in Virgilio in 1912. He won Stage 3 at the Tour de France in  1931 and, at the Giro d'Italia, Stage 3 in 1932, Stage 15 in 1934 and Stage 4 in 1936. He died in Rome on the 17th of June 1987.

On this day in 2002, bike component manufacturer SRAM purchased the mountain bike suspension manufacturer RockShox.

Other cyclists born on this day: Viktor Bykov (USSR, 19450; Park Hyeon-Gon (South Korea, 1968); Roland De Neve (Belgium, 1944); Esteban Espinoza (Ecuador, 1962); Chow Tai Ming (Hong Kong, 1959); Bernd Gröne (Germany, 1963); Heinz Isler (Switzerland, 1960); Reno Olsen (Denmark, 1947); Raymond Bley (Luxembourg, 1939); Jorge Gaday (Argentina, 1968); Gwon Ik-Hyeon (South Korea, 1920); Józef Oksiutycz (Poland, 1904, died 1965); Warwick Dalton (New Zealand, 1937); Jorge Gaday (Argentina, 1968).

No comments:

Post a Comment