Sunday 22 January 2012

I'll be back for the Tour of Flanders, says Emma Johansson

Emma Johansson sustained two
broken collarbones on the 14th
(image credit: Eriohm CC BY 3.0)
Hitec Products-Mistral Home's Emma Johansson has undergone successful surgery to set the two broken collar bones she suffered in a training ride accident late last week and is in an optimistic yet practical mood.

"It was a frightening accident because I was centimetres away from a frontal impact with the car," says the 28-year-old Swedish rider. "But two broken collarbones isn't the worst thing that could have happened - I'm just glad to be alive. My operation was a success - I was allowed to leave hospital soon afterwards and I can do almost everything for myself now, so I'm eager to get back on the bike and I'll start training on the rollers by Tuesday."

Three team cars had been sent out to collect Johansson and her team mates at the end of their ride. The driver of one mistimed an overtaking manoeuvre, trapping her between his vehicle and another car. A wing mirror then  struck her on the elbow and knocked her off.

"I can't say with any certainty that I'll be able to start the season when I planned - the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is probably pushing it a bit," she adds. "However, there's one thing I know for certain: I'll be at the Tour of Flanders!"

No comments:

Post a Comment